What causes mild chest pain in a person recovering from sinus infection?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: I suffered a sinus infection sunday through Friday of this week and coughed a lot. I noticed that now I have some slight pain off and on, pain when I cough in that area and soreness too the touch in the upper right side just below my ribs, it also seems puffy. when I lean back and stretch I can feel a slight pull in that area sometimes. I had blood work done in August and all my Liver functions were fine but I am worried its my liver. I do feel swim my headed and tired but I assume that's from the sickness. Tramadol seems to help the pain aslong as I don't touch the area. I have attached a photo of the area's of concern.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pulled muscle seems most probable reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all please note that this pain has nothing to do with the liver. Liver does not hurt at all. It can give pain in case of gallbladder inflammation/stones, bile ducts compression/obstruction or abscess. But other liver conditions do not really cause any pain.
Coughing is a very complicated process. It engages lots of chest muscles and abdominal muscles. Diaphragm is also engaged. When you cough a lot, it is possible to overload this muscles and cause some injury (pulled muscle). Its not something dangerous, but can give pain and discomfort.
Pulled muscle can heal even few weeks. As Tramadol helps, we can assume that the pain is not that bad. And for sure its not the liver as Tramadol would not help in case of liver.

I suggest you to rest and wait. You may try hot bath to relax the muscles. It should get better in few days.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Thanks doc. I had this same thing happen to me during another upper respiratory infection back in July and had the same injury area. Three years ago I lost a lot of weight and had slightly elevated liver enzymes alt 120- ASt 63 but the past three blood test show all levels to be normal. I attached a photo of the area just for reference. I appreciate your help.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rib muscles injury.

Detailed Answer:
Even with high liver enzymes, there would be not pain at all. But as yours are fine, no need to consider such possibility.
From the attached picture I can tell that you have injure the lower part of the chest so the rib muscles are the most probable source of pain.
Just try to rest.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Thanks doc. Last quest in. Can sinus drainage make you feel loopy and neausea some thought the day?

Also could the soreness/pain radiate to the back of ribs also?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can cause nausea.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, sinus drainage can do that. For sure you swallow sone mucus and it can greatly cause the nausea.
Yes, tha pain can radiate along the rib. This is very common.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Doc have attached one final photo of where the tenderness/slight pain has moved too. I do have the soreness on the actual rib. How long should the swimmy head and tiredness last from the sinus? I appreciate your help and will rate 5 stars on review

And one more... Is bloodwork a good indicator of good health? I just read where some people who have cirrhosis would have good normal blood work one week and really terrible a week or so later. Is it usually constant?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The marked area is aching due to rib muscles pain.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, the area marked on the photo is ribs area. As the nerves and muscles start from the back (spine) and go around the chest to the middle of it, you may sense the rib muscle pain exactly in this areas. No doubt in that.
The sinuses are kind of large boxes. It is build of space covered with special membrane (mucosa). In case of its inflammation, this mucosa produces lots of mucus and can cause sinuses obstruction. As long as it produces and obstructs sinuses, you will have swimmy head and tiredness. And it can take like few weeks. You should try some medicines which decrease mucosa swelling (the same medicines are used for nose swelling). This should help with the sinuses.

Blood work does not tell everything about the XXXXXXX It just gives some information. Not all of them. There are conditions/diseases which can develop without any changes in the blood work.
If its about liver cirrhosis, generally the liver tests are elevated. In case of liver cirrhosis decompensation, this tests become even worse.

So there is no liver cirrhosis without at least slightly elevated bilirubin level and liver enzymes.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
So the just of cirrhosis is usually continues to get worst and would not fluctuate correct?

And this picture I have just uploaded now it would be considered with the muscle rib injury as well correct?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, indeed. If you do not treat cirrhosis, the liver tests get constantly worse and do not get back to normal for no reason.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Doc wanted to add one more photo. It's very sore When pressed in on and a little painful throughout the day in the lower circle aswell. I forgot to add this one last time. If it is still rib and muscle I will move on.

To add I went to my chiropractor today and he said my lymp node in my neck on the right side was swollen from the sinus.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gallstones can give such pain.

Detailed Answer:
The area marked on the last photo contains some part of the abdomen. This makes the gallbladder pain possible. Especially if it gets worse after eating like fatty foods or fired foods. Gallbladder pain radiates to the right back or even right shoulder. And nausea can be present as well.
So if you find this abdominal part to be painful as well, abdominal ultrasound is a good idea to rule gallstones out.
Single enlarged lymph node in the neck can be from sinus inflammation. This is very normal thing. No need to do anything with it.