What causes mild burning sensation in the urethra along with delay in initiating urination?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Having quite the panic here.

I had unprotected oral and vaginal sex on December 3rd. This was of the one night stand variety. I don't know anything about the woman.

17 days later, on the 20th, I noticed a mild burning sensation and a delay in urine stream production when I went to urinate. That sensation has continued. Now I sometimes have it when I am not urinating. (like a very mild discomfort/pain in the urethra) It has not gotten worse and there is absolutely no discharge of any kind. I have even "milked" the urethra and get nothing. The burning/stinging is super super mild and is gone almost immediately when the stream leaves the meatus.

I went yesterday, the 21st, to a clinic to have tests done. I asked for all of them. The whole works. The whole panel including trich. I have every test back as negative except for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trich. I will not have those results until next Tuesday. And I am in full blown panic/anxiety mode wanting an answer.

So here are my specific questions about this:

1. A gram stain in urine doesn't take long, so why do I have results back on my blood tests but not the three that I am worried about, which are the urine tests? If the gram stain was negative for those types of bacteria wouldn't they have told me that? Or will they wait for the cultures as well? My thought is that the stain was positive and they are just waiting for the culture to prove it? Or is this most likely just the labs procedure to not say anything about the urine test until the cultures are finished?

2. Can this mild burning be something other than gonorrhea, chlamydia, or trich?

3. What is going on with the delayed urine stream? Delayed urine stream has happened to me before but it went away. Over a year ago. The mild burning/discomfort DID NOT happen in the past. The burning/pain is new for me as of early in the morning on the 20th.

Ok, that is enough panic and anxiety writing. I would like to thank you in advance for taking time to deal my mess. I look forward to your answer and your opinions of this.

Thank you very much!

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding urine test for STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Since you don't have urethral discharge so Gram's stain is not possible. In that case they would most likely do a test for Nucleic acid material from urine for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Bacterial culture takes a longer time for neisseria gonorrheae (7-14 days) and even longer for chlamydia.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Kakkar. I went and looked at the receipt and they are doing a NAAT urine test on those. Does that take as long?

Can you please answer the other questions I had?

Number 2 and 3?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding urethritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

NAAT test is pretty quick. It may take 2-3 days depending on the lab.

Chemical urethritis due to soap bubbles could be another cause of burning micturition. So avoid using soap etc for cleaning the glans as soap bubbles may enter through meatus and irritate the lining mucosa of the urethra.

Delayed urinary steam is part of anterior urethritis.

Hope this answers your query.