What causes mild burning in lungs?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am feeling discomfort, a mild burning in my lungs..and I started doing cardio after years of a sedentary lifestyle to burn some fat. I notice it seems to irritate it when I take a deep breath, and antacids seem to help a little. I just dont know what is going on, or if its something serious or not
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
seems to be acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

This burning sensation in chest,that increases in deep breath and improves by antiacids might be due to acid reflux.
Exercises and work out can cause acid reflux because the contraction of abdominal wall muscles increase the pressure in abdominal cavity and stomach acid moves up into esophagus causing inflammation.
It doesn't seem to be something serious especially if the burning sensation is worse in deep breath,improved by antiacids and doesn't spread in jaw,left arm or between shoulder blades.
Another possible cause of this discomfort is muscle strain from exertion.In this case massages and a warm compresses can improve the discomfort.

I would suggest to avoid hard exercises for some days.
Avoid fatty processed foods, spicy foods.Avoid coffee ,alcohol, chocolate,juices ,tomatoes etc.
Try to eat small frequent meals instead of three major ones and drink plenty of water.
Take Antiacids and Omeprazole once a day for 1 week.I f the symptoms doesn't seem to improve ,consult a physician for examination.

Hope it helps.
Let me knew if you need further help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati