What causes mild bleeding from vagina after urination?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have some very light bleeding after urination, just a spot or two, should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information about this:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Bleeding after menopause should always be looked into.

From your description, it isn't clear whether the bleeding is in the urine or from the vagina, but my guess is that a small amount of blood had pooled in the vagina, and the effect of urination and wiping allowed it to come out.

You should go in to be seen, please.
Your evaluation should include a urinalysis to check for bleeding in the urine (from stones, irritation, infection).
And also a pelvic exam to check for a cervical polyp or other visible abnormalities.

Some women after menopause have some vaginal bleeding after intercourse due to irritation of the tissues.

Depending on what these preliminary test/exam show, your doctor may want to do further testing such as a pelvic ultrasound, or an endometrial biopsy (which is usually just done in the office).

Sometimes there can be a bit of bleeding because of remaining hormonal fluctuations.

I don't want to worry you. It can be a benign process. But you should get this checked.