Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes metallic taste with difficulty swallowing and numbness in jaw?

Question
I have had a metallic taste in my mouth, difficulty swallowing, numbness to jaw and maxilla for a year with a sensation in the ear as if there is water in them. Dr thought a sinus infection and treated with nasal steroids and now thinks TMJ syndrome. I have all wisdom teeth but an xray reveals they are fine. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details required

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

Please provide me following details to suggest better in this regard.
1.Did you take an OPG(oral pantograph) X ray to see any lesions in the upper jaw?
2.Numbness in the jaw is unilateral or bilateral,if yes which side?
3.Do you feel there is less salivary flow in your mouth?Are you taking any salivary substitutes for existing dryness in your mouth?
4.Please provide your medical history in brief?

Awaiting response.
Thanks.

Follow-up: What causes metallic taste with difficulty swallowing and numbness in jaw? 1 hour later
No OPG done. The numbness is bilateral and puffiness appears by TMJ and to lower jaw, almost a numbing feeling. There is less saliva usually when I awake in the morning dry.

I have a hx of osteopenia and in addition to tecta and micardis I take 2000 vitamin D and 1000 calcium.

I workout daily and am in relatively good shape and was a paramedic for 25 years.

It is frustrating as I feel as if I have a difficult time swallowing saliva but do not choke on food and have a healthy appet

It is frustrating as I feel as if I have a difficult time swallowing saliva but do not choke on food and have a healthy appetite.

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI adviced..

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for reply,
After going through the history posted here I will suggest you two things.

1 Please consult an oral and maxillo facial surgeon and take MRI of both the TM joints. Based upon its findings, treatment can be initiated. Numbness is due to Nerve compression only in your case.

2 Secondly start artificial salivary substitutes to prevent dryness. Increase your fluid intake and keep your self-hydrated.

Please let me know for further doubts.
Thanks.