• question-icon

What causes metallic taste in the mouth?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: yes, I have a white ring around my mouth and a red tongue...any ideas? And my mouth tastes like metal and seems slimmy..
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnosis:Glossitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Your symptoms are suggestive of glossitis, which present as smooth red tongue.
Iron ,folate and vitamin B12 deficiency can cause this.
White ring your are noticing around the mouth could be due exfoliate skin associated with dry lip commonly seen in these deficiencies.
However, it would be helpful if you can upload a picture so that I can get a more clear idea.
Drunk plenty of fluids to stay hydrated. Use moisturizing agents like coconut oil on your lips.

You will need blood investigations to check the levels of iron, folate and vitamin B12 levels.
Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management.
Meanwhile eat diet rich in Iron, folate and b12 like meat, liver,fish and green leafy vegetables .

Hope this answers your question
If possible, upload a picture of tongue and lips along with the question
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal