What causes metallic taste in the mouth after a tooth extraction?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Had my wisdom teeth removed 10 days ago, no more pain, and im not on medication. Im tasting something coming from the extraction sites, it tastes like what id inagine pus to taste like, bitter and a little metallic, kind of like blood but theres no blood in my mouth. Again, i have no other symptoms, just this strange taste, and im worried maybe its an absess or something.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Infection .

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

It looks like there is Infection at the extraction site..
If there is no pain or any other symptoms then you need not to worry..
You should do warm saline gargles and antiseptic mouthwash gargles..
Do not let food particles accumulate in that area..
If the symptoms improve continue doing the same..
If the symptoms worsen or does not improve consult a Dentist and get evaluated..

Please let me know for more queries..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Ok, i still have aoxicillin left, and I think I will use it unless you advise otherwise. m
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can take Amoxicillin.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes, you can take Amoxicillin, it can help in resolving infection..
Also follow other remedies as advised above..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng