What causes metallic taste in mouth while on an empty stomach?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: In the last few weeks on some times i get a mettallic taste in my mouth when on empty stomach. Once i have food it subsides. Also i get semi loose motions for 2/3 days every 2 weeks or so. Normally i have home cooked food only except when i travel out of home city. If symptom is more i have taken Norfloz tz for 3 or 5 days but the symptom comes back after few weeks again. Want to how to do diagnostics and know root cause and go for well directed treatment. I also have a history of intestinal infection from my child hood.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

The metalic taste on empty stomach may be related to biliary reflux. However other causes should be excluded. The most common causes of metalic taste are:
- Gastrointestinal disorders (biliary reflux, GERD, gastritis etc.)
- Oral cavity infection (stomatitis, gingivitis etc.)
- ENT infections (sinusitis, faringitis etc)
- Systemic disease such as diabetes.
- Side effects of specific medications including supplements and Otc.

If you were my patient I would recommend to do the following examinations to find out what is causing your symptoms:
- Blood work
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Upper endoscopy
- Skull x-ray
- Dental x-rays
- ENT specialist consultation

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Klerida