What causes metacarpel joint pain post injury?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. Im a 51 yo female in general good health. 3 days ago I lifted a heavy oak dinning table at corner with my r hand. Ever since then, my thumb joint and middle finger knuckle (metacarpel joint) is very painful. Attempting to straighten my hand out, or bend middle finger toward palm is difficult. Nurse says probably a ligament strain. Your Thoughts? I'm using ice, very painful, ibuprofen, elevating, etc. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need hand Xray, Wear finger splints.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Yes, it sounds very much like ligament sprain. It could also be a feature of ongoing arthritis.

I would advise you to get an Xray of the hand.

Apply hot water bag, heating pad or wet hot cloth to the painful regions and pain killing gels.

You can take pain killers like Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days. Avoid lifting weights or pulling anything using your hand. You can wear finger splint to the regions of pain in the involved fingers.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina