What causes menthol taste in mouth of an elderly person?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 58 years old never been a smoker but lately I wake everyday and it last all day with a taste of menthol in my mouth and i feel as though I have ingested Vicks vapor rub.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This could be a sign of diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Untreated diabetes produces a ketosis in the blood and acetone in the breath. Acetone smells a lot like menthol.

Another possibility would be a sinus infection or liver or kidney problems.

You need to see your doctor for an exam and blood work to check for all these possibilities.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 6 hours later
What should I stop eating and drinking until I get an appointment?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No sweets

Detailed Answer:
No sweets, no dairy products, and no fatty foods for now
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T