What causes memory loss with hot and cold flashes post hysterectomy?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My wife having memory lost/hot and cold feeling. Could these symptoms are related to her hysterectomy that was done years ago or this may be cause by thyroid problem due lack of hormone in her system?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your wife's medical symptoms.

Memory issues can occur in both thyroid related problems as well as in association with menopause.
However as you said her hysterectomy was done years ago. Well do you know if her ovaries were also removed or not?
This is because removal of ovaries leads to menopause.

Now most women worldwide undergo natural menopause around 52 years of age, unless of course the ovaries are removed before that.

At the moment then it is most likely that your wife is in menopause regardless.

Usually menopause related symptoms occur in the first few years and tend to gradually improve on their own. However in some cases it can be severe and persistent. This requires careful and thorough evaluation of the individual for consideration towards treatment options.

As far as the thyroid is concerned, there is a simple blood test called TSH which can effectively rule out a thyroid condition in most people. This test does not require fasting and can be done at any time of the day.

When I see a patient in my practice who presents with complaints similar to those of your wife, I typically order the following tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC
Electrolytes
Calcium
HbA1c
Liver function tests
Kidney function tests
TSH
25 hydroxy Vitamin D