What causes memory impairment while on Valparin Chrono and Lamictal?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am an Epileptic patient since August 2013. Soon after first attack I was put on Levipil treatment. That increased my problem and I had 3 attacks afterwards in 4 months. After that I was put on Valparion Chrono 500 and Lamictal 100mg twice in a day. Now, my seizure are controlled but I am feeling that my memory is getting weak. My memory is becoming so weak that it is adversely affecting my professional help. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anti epileptic drugs cause memory impairment , get some investigations done

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX XXXX,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Anti epileptics are having CNS side effects with memory and concentration deficits are commonest.
In your case the actual diagnosis is necessary. What was your MRI or EEG report initially.
What are the types of seizures (genneralised tonic clonic seizures, myoclonic, absences, partial or complex partial seizure)
Any syndromic diagnosis (JME) or any family history of seizures.
All these questions are important to decide upon the duration of treatment.
If it is idiopathic seizures with good control on drugs then the drugs can be tapered gradually and stopped after 2-3 years.
In meantime you can get some routine blood investigations for memory loss like vitamin B12, folic acid and thyroid profile.
Do get back with the above asked details.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj