Owl Image

What causes megaloblastic anemia?

Excellent

Question
My 26 year old has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and meta? animia. Haven't had chance to talk with doctor about it. She has gone from 114# to 98#. She is 4'7" tall. She's very pale, tired and agreeable. She is perminantly trached with a tracheal esophageal diversion and her esophagus has been replaced with colon. These surgeries were done when she was a toddler due to being born with T. E. F. Tracheal Esophageal Fistula , a premie 2.5#. At 13 yrs old G-tube was removed and she was eating fine up until now.Can you help me understand the hypothyroidism and the (meta?) animia? Thank you XXXXXXX
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
treatable

Detailed Answer:
Sorry about your daughter's trouble. Hypothyroidism could be due to the surgeries done on her throat that probably have damaged her thyroid gland.
The anemia could be megaloblastic anemia. This happens due to defective absorption of B12 and folic acid from her gut.
She needs thyroxine tablets and vitamin supplements. They are treatable.
All the best.