What causes many red sots on neck, chest, nasal congestion and sore throat?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello, my 17 year old son is at college at Univ. of South Florida just called me... he has many red dots on his neck and chest, head/nasal congestion, sore throat...no fever, no itching...he is going to the health office tomorrow but I am so worried...any idea what this could be? a virus? allergic reaction? thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This can be allergic or due to clotting issues

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what he has been experiencing lately. Based on the history and image you have shared it seems like petechiae which are small red spots and are usually caused by platelets disorders, which are a composition of normal blood and help for blood clotting. Simple screening tests like complete blood count and Clotting profile can rule out any such possibility. Once that is ruled out, then local skin conditions including rashes with certain bacterial or viral infections or allergies may present like this. A detailed systemic examination alongwith examination for any swollen glands in the body can put the mind at rest once ruled out. Most of these causes are reversible and are treated with antibiotics and rashes causes with systemic illnesses settle once the primary cause is treated. Wishing him a quick recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T