What causes lymphangioleiomyomatosis?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: WHAT IS LAM? MY DAUGHTER N LAW WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH THAT?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this diagnosis that your daughter-in-law got

Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) is a rare progressive disorder affecting many different body systems. It mostly affect women age 15-49. This is more common in women who have other disease conditions such as tuberous sclerosis which is a heritable genetic disorder.

LAM is characterized by the spread and uncontrolled growth of specialized cells in certain organs of the body, especially the lungs, kidney and lymphatics. Common symptoms associated with LAM include coughing and/or difficulty breathing, especially following periods of physical exercise.

Persons with this condition may experience complications including collapse of a lung or fluid accumulation around the lungs. In some cases, it may result in chronic respiratory failure.

I hope this sheds more lights on what she has. I wish her well. Let her follow up with her doctors for comprehensive review and management.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee