• question-icon

What causes lymph node swelling in the left side of the face?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello my lymph node under my ear on the left side of my face was swollen,It came after a black eye on the same side. I went to emergency and doctor they felt it came from the black eye .. it has been about 9 months now. I have had some sinus issues and noticed the lymph node did shrink but did not go completely away and seems to flare up when my sinus starts..is this normal . I am 50 and don't have any other medical issues. I did have a wisdom tooth on the opposite side which was infected but did take antibiotics and had tooth pulled. .Thank you in advance..Ms XXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can take weeks to decrease size, if stimulated in between, will enlarge

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lymph nodes respond to an inflammation, allergy, infection in the area that they drain.

the lymph node could have responded to the trauma to the eye. It can take 4 weeks, sometimes up to 6 weeks for lymph nodes to go back to their normal size after enlargement.

If before that time, there is another source of inflammation/allergy/infection during this 4 to 6 weeks ,then the lymph nodes would enlarge again or would not get smaller.

If you are getting repeated sinus infections or allergies, then this would definitely stimulate the lymph nodes. This is the normal body response.

You can consider a full blood count if you remain concerned, this would look at the white cell count

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James