• question-icon

What causes lumps under the skin while suffering from thyroid cancer?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Cancer
Question: Hi, I am 84 yrs old and had thyroid cancer for 7 yrs. I was told at one point it was no longer in the thyroid(after 3 surgeries) but had spread to my lungs. My oncologist said he couldnt understand why it doesnt seem to be doing anything, but recently a cancerous tumor was taken out of my intestines. My question is, why am I getting little tumors under my skin in different areas and when I ask about them, not really getting any answers. YYYY@YYYY Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to look at the biopsy of these lumps

Detailed Answer:
Hi

First thing we need to know is what is the nature of these little lumps beneath the skin. And it is not difficult at all, considering that some of these have been removed already. They have been biopsied for sure. We just need to go through the reports.

If these are benign tumors of say, fatty tissue, then nothing to worry. However, if these are from the thyroid cancer, we need to do something. Chemo or oral drugs can be considered.

Hope this helps. I will be available for further follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist