question-icon

What causes lumps in the back of throat?

Posted on Thu, 31 Jul 2014
Question: I have little clear and flesh/tan colored lumps in the back of my throat. Having difficulty swallowing. Also have type 16 hpv
I forgot to add I quit smoking 4 years ago. I smoked for 10 years.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Laryngopharyngeal Reflux...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have thoroughly examined the images and understood your problem.

Do not worry! The fleshy structures are nothing but the lymphoid follicles. The symptoms seem to be related to Laryngopharyngeal-reflux secondary to the reflux of acid contents from the stomach into the throat. There are no signs of infection.

You may require proton pump inhibitors and prokinetics to reduce your problems. Consult your doctor for a thorough examination of the larynx and the pharynx.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Avoid alcohol, fizzy drinks, chilled food and beverages.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar (21 minutes later)
I am taking nexuim 40mg. I have been on similar medications on and off for the last 7 years. I was diagnosed with acid reflux or GERD depending on which doctor I saw. I stopped drinking soda/fizzy drinks 3 months ago. I do not consume alcohol. However, I do drink cold water. I will start drinking water at room temperature. Thank you for your response. This answer is definitely better than the one I received from the doctor. Will consult with doctor for exam on the larynx and the pharynx. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (13 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Wish u good health...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

It would be better if you could consume plenty of warm water, this will reduce most of your symptoms.

Please keep me informed about your visit to the Laryngeal examination.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist