Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

What causes lumps in bottom of last rib?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
I have soft pea size lumps on the bottom of my last rib on both sides of my body. I am in pain. The doctor prescribed methylprednosoln which has not helped. Now she is suggesting I take XXXXXXX At first I was diagnosed with costcodontritis. Now she thinks it is a flare up of my fibromyalgia. I think it is something else.
What is your opinion?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that there exist a possibility of costochondritis or bony exostosis , I think it needs evaluation .

Fibromyalgia will not lead to these kind of symptoms . I think chest x ray needs to be seen so that ribs can be visualised . If needed biopsy can also be planned to see whats going on if it persists or increases in size . Rest it would be difficult to comment on this without examining the patient . I think a course of antiinflammatories are worth a try like naproxen to see the response .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes lumps in bottom of last rib? 9 hours later
I was diagnosed with costochondritis and took an anti inflammatory. It did not help. My concern is the pea size soft bumps. They are causing the pain. Do you still think it could be costochondritis?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

It can be bony exostosis , most of the time antiinflammatories help in costochondritis but even if they dont bring relief it does not rule out the disease . It can be some cystic swelling also . But since they are bilateral possibility of costochondritis tops the chart .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor