What causes lump on neck area which is movable?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi i have a lump under my XXXXXXX apple it moves up and down when i swallow
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Commonly such bump is thyroid nodule.

Detailed Answer:

Commonly such nodules , particularly not seen since birth are due to thyroid nodule.And this needs evaluation by ultrasound.

Other causes are enlarged node, thyroglossal cyst, developmental cysts and rarely cancerous growths.

Ideal step is to get this investigated with ultrasound.

So see a ENT surgeon and get ultrasound done.If thought necessary doctor might want to get scan and biopsy done.But these investigations are not often needed.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later
I was thinking of seeing my normal gp first? Can he do any tests on the lump?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, that is also fine.

Detailed Answer:

You can see GP, he/she can get ultrasound done.Then if needed you can go to ENT specialist.Regards.