Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

What causes lump on neck area which is movable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
hi i have a lump under my XXXXXXX apple it moves up and down when i swallow
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Commonly such bump is thyroid nodule.

Detailed Answer:

Commonly such nodules , particularly not seen since birth are due to thyroid nodule.And this needs evaluation by ultrasound.

Other causes are enlarged node, thyroglossal cyst, developmental cysts and rarely cancerous growths.

Ideal step is to get this investigated with ultrasound.

So see a ENT surgeon and get ultrasound done.If thought necessary doctor might want to get scan and biopsy done.But these investigations are not often needed.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes lump on neck area which is movable? 15 minutes later
I was thinking of seeing my normal gp first? Can he do any tests on the lump?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, that is also fine.

Detailed Answer:

You can see GP, he/she can get ultrasound done.Then if needed you can go to ENT specialist.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor