What causes lump on left ribcage?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a lump that starts at the top of my left rib cage, under my breast. Its starting to grow around to my back. I have a feeling of fullness, I have fallen down, I have problems swallowing food. Today I woke up with a red splotchy rash on my left side of my chest. This week I have been feeling foggy.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give detailed history and in Chronology

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/47 - has a lump that starts at the top of left rib cage, under the breast - starting to grow around the back - feeling of fullness - have fallen down - have problems swallowing food - woke up today with a red splotchy rash on the left side of the chest - feeling foggy this week....

Please give some additional information to complete the proper history:
- Was it so that there was a fall first and then you developed the swelling and the splotchy rash?
- Did the problem in swallowing occur after the fall or was present before that? What exactly is the problem, please elucidate.
- Any difficulty or pain while breathing deep or movement of torso like twisting or bending or straining?
- Any other information that you would like to add on.

Please give detailed history and by chronology so that we can correlate the things properly to get a proper diagnosis and plan for the management.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
I have had the lump for about 6 mos., I have had problems in the past couple of months chocking when I eat. I actually have to think to chew my food or I choke. I just started falling, once in Dec.2015 I was walking through a store and my left leg stayed as the rest of me walked forward. The second time was just last week at work, the same thing happened. I have had a low grade fever for two weeks now, and fatigued. I woke up today with the rash so a couple of weeks after I fell but the choking and the painful muscle spasms with numbness only on my left side has been for around 6 mos..
Brief Answer:
As detailed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Lump for about 6 months
Chocking on eating for the past couple of months.
History of fall twice noted.
Low grade fever and fatigue for 2 weeks.
Woke today with a splotchy rash.

The lump can be due to costochondritis or a diffuse lipoma. A proper clinical evaluation, ultrasonography will help to confirm or rule out the possibility. Painful muscle spasm and numbness only on left side indicate costochondritis.

Choking on eating should be evaluated by an upper GI Endoscopy and Barium contrast studies.

History of falling: the left leg stayed as the rest of you walked forwards and there was a fall. This indicates may be an imbalance or so and would be evaluated by clinical examination and related tests and investigations.

All these problems will give you fatigue and the fever may be due to some reasons for which some tests may help. If this is due to flu, one can get exenthema or a rash as you have described.

I hope this answer helps you to go ahead with proper interaction with your Doctor to get a clinical diagnosis supported by relevant investigations and so on.