What causes lump in throat and thrush on tongue?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: Is this thrush on my tung? Ive already been tested for hiv and it was negative..... What is going on should i go get tested again. Im always tired and i am really worried. I also have a small bump near my throat. Please tell me this is normal and ill be okay...
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
possibly, other to consider :virus, GERD

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

1. I have gone through the photos you provided and can say as following :

- there is nothing worrisome found with your tongue appearance apart the a slight white coating
- thrush could be a possible cause to this especially if you have been using antibiotics recently or having a poor diet or poor oral hygiene. Keep good oral hygiene and run oral swab culture to determine thrush. If confirmed, applying miconazole gel locally for at least 7 days can be effective

- depending on the symptoms you are experiencing (apart feeling tired), GERD should be also another possible cause

2. You are saying to have a lump in your throat, but I did not notice that, only a slight inflammation possibly due to thrush, GERD or viral infection.

3. With regards to being alway tired, it does not necessarily mean that you have HIV.

If you :
- skip your meals
- have a poor diet
- lack of exercise
- stress
altogether can be possible causes.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Ive had the two problems since last december. Ive been tested and it was negative. Should i let it go that it could be that.?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

If culture was negative, then, no candida. Furthermore, if HIV was negative, then, should not be worried.

My thought go for possible:
- problems with your teeth (fillings or bad teeth)
- GERD
- dehydration

Otherwise, I do not see any problem and you should not be worried.

All the best!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 17 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome!

If no more queries, please do not forget to close this discussion!
Dr.Albana