What causes lump in throat and swollen glands?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have been to the ENT twice already and have had my throat checked with a scope up my nose. I have a lump in the back left side of my throat next to the back of my tongue. It sticks up and looks like a flap its rihjt under my tonsil almost runs back do2n the throat. I can c it and feel it. The doc said it was lymphoid tissue. I have had this for about 10 months now and I have a constant globas sensation. I now have swollen glands on the left side of my neck. The doc told me it would go away on its own and it has not grew in size butbis still there. How do I get rid of this? Im scared thinking I have cancer. Please help this is killing me I have taken antibiotics like 3 times already and no change. I tried salt water and nothing. It has been almost a year with this with no change and constant feeling of something there. Now the lymph nodes on the side of my neck a grroup of 3 or 4 the size of marbles r swelled almost towards the back side of mt neck the same side as the so called lymphatic tissue in my throat
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is a solution

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, understanding about the problem and multiple opinions you must have taken by this time.

To recapitulate.
*Lump in throat as described - you can see it, feel it- said to be lymphoid tissue- 10 months- globus- * Now swollen glands on the same side- ''how to get rid of this'' ?- cancer_phobia- 3 courses of antibiotics- NO change and constant feeling of something there-

I would advise the following::;
*MRI with contrast injection of the nose, sinuses, full pharynx and neck... The recent MRI machines have software to detect changes of the cancer or other diseases. This is to be done as the first investigation as it is least invasive, you need only one injection.
*Multiple FNAC of the mass in the throat and the lymph nodes under ultrasonography guidance.
*Blood and other investigations just to see any changes and for fitness
* once these reports are there , one would be nearing a diagnosis.
The treatment will be planned accordingly.
* Consult an ENT Surgeon with the facility of co-ablator. and working in the field of OSA ( Obstructive Sleep Apnea) with all these reports. He may be very happy to get these unwanted, problem creating tissues for 2 reasons.
1> You get rid of the extra tissue
2> we get the tissue diagnosis.
In this way the problem will be solved from the root.
And you will be absolutely alright.

I hope this helps you .
I want you to be absolutely alright, fit , and fine.
Please feel free to ask if you have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad