What causes lump in the armpit?

Posted on Mon, 5 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: i have reticentlya big lamp under my left arm and i was seen the doctor he said its infection and he prescript ed the antibiotic the name is apo CEPHALEXIN i started take in 10 09 15 till now 2 capsuile morning and night, but getting the lamp bigger pleas tell me whats happening. thanks
what mighty of the cause ?why reacting like this ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult general surgeon. It should be incised and drained.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of this lump? Does it hurt? Has the doctor checked your breasts?

This lump can be either an infection or enlarged lymph node.
If its an infection, the lump should be painful, swollen and reddish. In case of enlarged lymph nodes.
Infected lump is usually filled with pus. If so, the antibiotic wont be effective as it does not reach the pus. The only correct treatment of abscess under the arm is its incision.
In case of enlarged lymph node, breasts and armpits ultrasound should be done.

I suggest you to consult general surgeon with this issue.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon