What causes lump in pelvic area which disappears on lying down?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Noticed a lump (golf ball sized) under skin near pelvic around, just above leg crease. Left side. Soft & dissappears when i lay down. No pain. I have varicose veins, have had greater and lesser saphenous veins stripped. Also previous DVT right leg. Have traveled recently (two flights yesterday) worried about clot. Is this an emergency?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be a Hernia. It is not an emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for the question and the detailed description.
Since you mention a lump that dissapears on lying down and since you did not attribute much pain to the lesion I would think that it is some sort of a Hernia that you have. Could be inguinal hernia or some other type.
Do not worry at all as it is not an emergency.
I suggest you get examined by your Doctor or preferably a Surgeon who would be able to tell you what it is. Without examining you it would be extremely difficult to comment as to what it is.
Do let me know if there are other queries on this issue.
It does not look like a vein clot.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina