What causes lump in neck in an alcoholic?

Dr. Ashwini Kolur

Posted on Fri, 5 Feb 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I suddenly see a little black mole, lump, (not sure what to call it) on the left side of my neck. It is not painful and I'm not experiencing any pain anywhere else. Attaching a picture for your reference. Would like to understand what this is and if possible why I suddenly just got it. I had been heavily drinking and smoking about 2 packs a week for a period of 2 years. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
foliculitis, antibiotic ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query and picture.
It appears to be foliculitis. This is minor subcutaneus inflammation, I would have advised you to wash the part with cool water and soft soap like dermadew or dove, tap it dry with towel, avoid scratching it, also avoid poping it, I would have treated you with antibiotic ointment like neosporin applied 2 to 3 times a day for 3 days.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later
Hi thanks for your counsel. With treatment, how long before this ingrown follicle actually goes away? How long do you think I should wait before seeing a doctor?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
in week you should be fine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Welcome.
Kindly follow the measures for a week, you should be fine. But if it spreads, pain increases in intensity, I would suggest you to see doctor.

This is provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina