• question-icon

    What causes lump in chin?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor. I have a small ball kind of thing under my chin on that bone kind of thing,on the right side, not my neck bone, which was paining a week bak not now.
It dosent show on the outside, but i can feel it when i touch it. I started smoking and drinking alot from past 3 months. I got a tongue tie surgery done 3 months back. Sometimes when i try to stick out my tongue too much i can feel something pulling from inside on the same right side under my chin. I am confused. Or is it a sign of any kind of cancer.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for clinical examination, FNAC if required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
According to your complaints it can be epidermoid cyst or lipoma or any other benign lesion.
Cancer seems to be unlikely because cancerous growths are usually painless and grow rapidly.
Still I would recommend you to consult a doctor and get a clinical examination of the swelling along with fine needle aspiration cytology ( FNAC ) to find out what it is exactly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Hi Dr.Asmeet. There was pain when i first noticed it but now i do not have any pain. I do not know if that makes any difference. And that small movable kinda ball is from inside. I cant feel it under the surface of my chin skin. It is more inside, like as if its outside the bone but not on my skin. Its not at all visible outside. And also when i first got the pain i felt like my right side neck was little swollen, and i felt unconfortable on my whole right side including my ears. Now i dont have any sort of pain except that i am trying to finger that ball alot out of curiosity. I am a student so i cannot afford tests for now until its really needed. Is there any other health problem underlying this or is it anyway related to my tongue tie surgery. Just another information i have lot of heat in my body and last three months i had a stressfull time. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep it under observation

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it can be related to tongue tie surgery.
I would recommend you to keep it under observation. It it increases in size or causes any discomfort then you need to consult the doctor.
For the time being don't do anything.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 4380 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Epidermoid cyst

doctor1 MD

Good evening. I am a 58 year old female that went through menopause 12 years ago due to a complete hysterectomy. I never had acne as a teenager and...

doctor1 MD

this is regarding my mother s problem.she is 46 yrs and she is suffering from extreame urinary incontinence.the frequency is about once an hour on...

doctor1 MD

Doc! I was diagonised Keratin cyst on my vocal cords. Biopsy says that it is a benign one and I see good improvement by taking medicines and...

doctor1 MD

i went to the er to have a doctor look at a bump at the base of my penis, but a little more to the right. He said it was an epidermoid cyst. It is...

doctor1 MD

Hi sir, I'm 30 years old I have been suffering with severe headache from past 10years. 5 years ago I consulted a neurologist and got diagnosed with...

doctor1 MD

I have a question of a concern i about a very small bump I have on my neck. I have had this bump for about 6+ years on the back of my neck. If you...

doctor1 MD

My 10 year old daughter has a skin bump under her toe that doesn't hurt or itch but has a black center. What could it be?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

177 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
  • Q - What are the symptoms of scabies?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for superficial folliculitis on inner thigh

  • Q - Suggest treatment for graying of hair and hair loss

  • Q - What causes red colored lesion on the hips?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dry lips

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurrent acne

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching in the armpits

  • Q - What causes tiny skin tags in neck area?

  • Q - How to get rid of body lice?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching on neck, hands and legs