• question-icon

What causes lump in chin?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor. I have a small ball kind of thing under my chin on that bone kind of thing,on the right side, not my neck bone, which was paining a week bak not now.
It dosent show on the outside, but i can feel it when i touch it. I started smoking and drinking alot from past 3 months. I got a tongue tie surgery done 3 months back. Sometimes when i try to stick out my tongue too much i can feel something pulling from inside on the same right side under my chin. I am confused. Or is it a sign of any kind of cancer.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for clinical examination, FNAC if required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
According to your complaints it can be epidermoid cyst or lipoma or any other benign lesion.
Cancer seems to be unlikely because cancerous growths are usually painless and grow rapidly.
Still I would recommend you to consult a doctor and get a clinical examination of the swelling along with fine needle aspiration cytology ( FNAC ) to find out what it is exactly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Hi Dr.Asmeet. There was pain when i first noticed it but now i do not have any pain. I do not know if that makes any difference. And that small movable kinda ball is from inside. I cant feel it under the surface of my chin skin. It is more inside, like as if its outside the bone but not on my skin. Its not at all visible outside. And also when i first got the pain i felt like my right side neck was little swollen, and i felt unconfortable on my whole right side including my ears. Now i dont have any sort of pain except that i am trying to finger that ball alot out of curiosity. I am a student so i cannot afford tests for now until its really needed. Is there any other health problem underlying this or is it anyway related to my tongue tie surgery. Just another information i have lot of heat in my body and last three months i had a stressfull time. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep it under observation

Detailed Answer:
According to your complaints it can be related to tongue tie surgery.
I would recommend you to keep it under observation. It it increases in size or causes any discomfort then you need to consult the doctor.
For the time being don't do anything.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist