What causes lump in breast?

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014 in Breast Cancer
Question: I am 32 years old and have had a pea size lump in my breast for over 2 years. I get it checked regularly by a surgeon. He normally ultrasounds the breast. I had a normal baseline mammogram 1 month ago and it was normal. I normally do a self exam at least every couple weeks. I checked my breast this morning and the lump is larger. My left breast has many fibrocystic lumps and im nearing ovulation in my monthly cycle. Could these changes be cancerous?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the query,

For an area that has been present for 2 years it seems unlikely that this could be malignant. However, if you have appreciated a definite change in size then I feel you should bring it to the attention of your primary care physician or surgeon.

A good physical exam and a possible diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound may be indicated. Younger women like yourself have frequent changes in breast tissue which occur based on fluctuating hormone levels as well as breast size and baseline density.

Again this seems unlikely to be cancerous but a conservative approach would be to have your physician examine the area in question.

Thanks again for sharing your health care concerns with us.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
After further examining the area it feels as this in a new lump altogether. It has not been there the past few weeks. It is very sore.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

With this additional information I would recommend you bring it to the attention of your physician. This may trigger a workup including a mammogram/ultrasound. This would be standard workup and hopefully this is another benign fibrocystic change - extremely common but at the same time we must remain vigilant in followup.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist