What causes lump in armpit oozing green pus post surgery?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: i had surgery in February and have had a lump in my armpit. it is now oozing a thick green pus and it smell gross. should I be worried about it?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get Culture and sensitivity of the pus.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for posting in health care magic.
Pus can come after any surgical procedure.
Greenish pus is due to pseudomonas aeuriginosa organism.
Please get culture and sensitivity of the pus.The exact organism and appropriate antibiotic will be known.
Please do regular cleaning and dressing of the wound.
I do the same thing to my patients with similar complaints. Pending culture report, I prescribe Antibiotic like Faropenem (oral meropenem) to my patients. Discuss about this your doctor.
Please come back with culture report I will clarify further.
Nothing to worry.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 minutes later
thank you for the answer and will get culture and let you know results.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Waiting for your report.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Please send me the culture and sensitivity report as soon as you get it.
Regards.