What causes lump in a tetanus shot site?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: is it normal to have a lump and redness around the site of a tetnus shot received 2 1/2 days ago?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, this can occur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

This can occur, yes. Some persons may have no reaction at all and others may have a reaction similar to what you are describing.

The lump is part of the body's inflammatory response to trauma. The extent of this response can vary from one person to next.

The redness should resolve within a few days but it can, in some persons, take longer for the lump to resolve.

Using an anti inflammatory pain killer, even if there is no pain, may help.

This includes medications such as naproxen, cataflam, ibuprofen

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 minutes later
Thank u - and how long should you wait before getting staples in your head removed? There are 11
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
7 to 10 days

Detailed Answer:
HI

In general staples are removed after 7 to 10 days. If the area is clean and the wound appears to be closed, it would likely be closer to the 7 day time.

If it appears then it may still be slightly open then the full 10 days.

Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Thank you- also it has been 2 1/2 days since the staples were put in his head - we got minimal instructions from the ER and have not had the follow up visit yet. The area where the 11 staples are is starting to itch some. Should we be putting neosporin on it?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
can use a mild topical steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the late reply

If you have a mild topical steroid cream like hydrocortisone , which is over the counter, you can apply it.
It is anti inflammatory and may help the itching

You can use the neosporin if you see any signs of infection- increasing redness, increasing pain, discharge, etc

If anything else unclear, let me know