What causes lump behind ear?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 1 Dec 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dime size lump under skin behind ear. Not behind the lobe, up higher on ear. Not painful red or swollen and is moveable.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A reactive lymph node

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have noted down your concern.

The swelling is most likely a swollen/ reactive lymph node which is draining the area on scalp, about which you inquired a day ago. At that time I had suggested the possibility of seborrheic dermatitis and secondary bacterial infection (i.e a furuncle) affecting your scalp. This swollen lymph node behind ear is most likely a reactive lymph node due to the primary condition affecting your scalp. This swollen lymph node is expected to go down as the infection and inflammation in its draining region (i.e scalp) subsides.
I had suggested you a course of an Oral antibiotic and topical antibiotic for your scalp condition. This would take care of the lymph node as well.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Hi, im sorry i should of mentioned the lump behind the ear is not on me. Im asking for my husband. He has no infection and feels fine.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The cause is most likely local and swelling is reactive

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you.

The most common reason for a localised lymph node swelling is reactive and the cause is local. For him too, I would suggest an empirical course of an Oral antibiotic for a week. If it does not go down or resolve by 2 weeks I would suggest a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) to explore further possibilities.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Ok here is a photo
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lymph nodes

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you.

Yes, these are lymph nodes.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Ok, if he is not sick at all, what would be the reason for these lymph nodes to suddenly appear?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
The reason for this lymph node is more likely local

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

It is a good thing that he is not sick. An isolated lymph node swelling such as this is most likely due to a local cause e.g a local skin infection or inflammation e.g a transient folliculitis that may have gone unnoticed and the only thing that is noticeable is a lymph node, therefore, it is logical to start on empirical course of an Oral antibiotic specially in the absence of any other systemic symptoms which is all the more suggestive that it was probably due to a local cause.