What causes lump at the incision site of inguinal hernia repair?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: I'm a 50 yr fem. that has had 2 previous hernia operations, 1st one was tied (?) but i somehow popped the stitch and a repair a 2nd time but with mesh. With in the past 4-5 months i have had a knot the size of my fist protruding when i bend backwards (standing position) just a bit. I've asked my dr and he referred me to a surgeon. This surgeon states that this is normal for someone my age when my abdominal muscles aren't used as much they separate and it forms a "mound" that protrudes and it's not dangerous. My concern is, when my bowels are working, I have some pain in the area between my sternum and above the naval (this is where the knot is). This is not "normal" and I'm needing either reassurance or should i go get a 2nd opinion??
I listen to what my body tells me and I'm just not convinced that what this surgeon told me. HELP!!! Still concerned!!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I reassure you that you need not get concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have carefully gone through the details and understand your concerns. But before anything, could you upload the details of the previous hernia surgery that was undertaken? Hernias can be of various types and at various locations. The details will help me understand whether the swelling and the hernia are related. As such, the stomach is located in the position you descibe. Hyperacidity and gastritis are known and common problems that many people have. This could be a cause. In such a case taking prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast and avoiding of spicy food is all you need.

The other cause is what your surgeon rightly says. Muscle fibres can sometimes get folded together forming a lump. That could indeed be the case and I do not think that you need to get a second opinion (in fact you are already getting one through me). It is a harmless condition and I reassure you that your surgeon seems to be right.

Let me know if I could be of further help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Dr. Saha,

Thank you so much for addressing my concerns. I truly appreciate your expertise and logical explanation. I understand it completely. I will accept your response as a secondary opinion and not worry about it further. I thank you again for your time and explanation. If I have any new issues, I will most certainly come here first.

Respectfully, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Glad to know that you appreciated my response.

Feel free to ask me back directly in case of any health related query in the future. In case you found my answer useful, I would be glad if you close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.