What causes lump at bottom of ear after an injury?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yesterday I felt back of ear and there was an eraser size lump at bottom of ear where connects to neck. My ear seems hot at times, ear canal feels swollen, inside of ears itch, back of neck sore, I wouldn't call any part of it necessarily painful but a constant reminder and bother. I am in need of dental work which I was actually scheduled for tomorrow to get fillings. My teeth have been bothering me since having baby, dry mouth and fillings needed. My teeth aren't hurting though they have moved tightly together and have been picking at them alot.
I am also under am extreme amount of stress once returning to work full time. My father ruptured and collapsed lung 2 weeks after returning to work, raking care of two homes, working full time and much more, I haven't been taking the best care of myself at all, and feel XXXXXXX anxiety and I can't get energy or motivation to do all things I know I need to do and then the piles get bigger and issues get worse. Lastly, I did kill 2 female Wolfe spiders carrying babies a week ago the first one, 2nd one this past sunday. I had what my husband and I believed to be a spider bite in case any relevance.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can please you add a photograph of the region?

Detailed Answer:

If possible please add a photograph of the region, so that I can have a look at it.

Also are there signs of skin inflammation ?

How does this lump feel like when you touch it?

Awaiting reply.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 31 minutes later
It feels tender but not painful. I can feel it but it doesn't look visible to others without touching. Sometimes it doesn't bother me much and then others it's throbbing but again not really painful
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a enlarged node.

Detailed Answer:
In view of details you have mentioned, this looks like a enlarged tender lymph node than a spider bite.

Dental infections can be associated with such enlarged nodes in this region.A deep seated infections of teeth commonly present with such nodes.

During your dental work doctor can confirm this.Doctor is likely to put on antibiotics after dental work.This should take care of this node as well.

For your info- nodes are oval in shape and little rubber to touch and they can be glided over underlying tissue.You can check this out.And mostly there are few other nodes in close vicinity, patients generally notice only the larger one.
You can slowly palpate the area to see if at all there are other nodes as well.

Spider bit seems unlikely as that would have caused external signs, obvious to others.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later
This is best I could do with pictures, spider bite was on my arm last week by a Wolfe spider.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will like to change my opinion.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the pictures.

I will like to change my opinion after seeing pictures.I had got an impression that it is lump behind ear without any overlying skin inflammation.But this involving ear pinna and also there is skin inflammation.Also I thought its lump behind the ear and not involving ear pinna.

This does look like insect bite.But doubts remains whether it is actually a Wolfe spider bite, as those are typically painful.

Few things that can help are ice pack application, local antibiotic cream and oral antihistaminics.Oral painkillers if at all it becomes painful.

Do consider a precautionary visit to doctor as this is in the region of ear close to brain.These bites from the wolf spider do not present a grave danger, but medical attention is needed.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Thank you. I'm going in the morning. Should I go to er?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
With no serious symptoms, morning is fine

Detailed Answer:
With no serious symptoms, going in morning is fine.

Do wash it, apply antibiotic cream, apply ice pack and take oral antihistaminics.This will limit symptoms and prevent swelling/inflammation.

Regards.