What causes lower stomach pain, gas, bloating and belching?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Been having lower pains in the middle of stomach. Left side below my ribs is painful but goes away. I am 33 years old, took antibiotics last month. Was taking probiotic with them by stopped. Feel i have a lot of gas, bloated. Burping after meals. Feels fine during the day, or exercising. Please help thank you
Answered by Dr. Rishi 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be Gastritis. Get Endoscopy done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Your symptoms are suggestive of Gastritis. Stress, alcohol and smoking tends to increase Gastritis. It happens due to increased acid secretion in the stomach. The investigations that have been done will not show Gastritis.
You should see your Physician or a Gastroenterologist and get an Upper GI Endoscopy done. This will show up whether there is any Gastritis or not and then we can advice further.
I usually advice my patients Tab Pantoprazole or Cap Omeprazole twice a day half an hour before any meal. Also avoid any hot liquids and spicy foods. Do not lie down immediately after meals.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 13 minutes later
Thank you very much for the reply, I do not smoke, barley drink, could it be the antibiotics? Yes, does seem more bloated when laying down if I eat.

Also, I had sinus infections for a while, I remember swallowing green/ yellow mucus a lot.
Answered by Dr. Rishi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome. Start treatment as advised.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Its good that you dont smoke and rarely drink.
Then stress could be a reason.
Please get an Endoscopy done and let me know.
You should start the treatment as advised. You would feel better with it.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 43 hours later
Hi doc went to the doctor, the doctor did an exam , didnt find anything, put me on antacid. Still seems I get bloated after I eat. Exercised, is there something I can try?

Seems it eases the bloating after I pass gas. One thing I forgot to ask the doctor while there was I have a tendency to breath in while I eat. I still barley can not breath from my nose. My nose is blocked and the ESN is scheduled to fix it, could that be causing it?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should get your nose block treated and Endoscopy also.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thanks for your reply.
Bolcked nose can lead to mouth breathing and increasing stomach gas and bloating. That is definitely true. So you should get your ENT check up done and get your nose opened.
But I also feel you should get an Upper GI Endoscopy done to see the status of your stomach mucosa.
Do let me know if you get it done and continue the treatment adviced earleir.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 8 hours later
Hi, thanks for the reply, your message saystwice a day, before a meal. The doctor put me on omeprazole but twice a day total. Once in the morning before a meal, and one 12 hrs later. How long should I use it if my symptoms does not subside? They gave me a 30 day supply.
Answered by Dr. Rishi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have it for a month at least. Should take for 3 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thanks for the response.
Your prescription is correct. Have it half an hour before breakfast and then 12 hours later again on empty stomach.
Have it for a month as given and then tell us whether there is improvement or not. You should start feeling better within a week to 10 days
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 22 hours later
Thank you so much for your help, I read online that probiotics help people. Should I try some? If yes, what do you suggest? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rishi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probiotics would be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Probiotics would be helpful and are good for the system. But they affect mostly the large intestine. You can start Probiotics but the mainstay of the treatment would be the medicines prescribed to you and the precautions advised.
Hope you recover fast.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon