• question-icon

What causes lower right abdominal soreness, navel pain and pelvic pain?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: I am a 66 soon to be 67 year old Caucasian male. I woke up this morning with right lower quadrant abdominal soreness. Not sharp pain. I had a bowel movement, ate breakfast and am not nauseas. I do not have a fever and the discomfort does not appear to be worsening. I did not have any pain near my belly button, yet the discomfort increases as I press downward on the right side toward my pelvic area. I googled appendicitis and am not displaying all the symptoms. Again the discomfort is not worsening but I did notice that I had response pain upon depressing the abdominal area and felt a little pain upon release. Should I go to the ER or wait a couple of hours to see if my symptoms change? E-MAIL YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Go to ER,

Detailed Answer:
In obstructive jaundice the stool is clay/white colored.
Pain within an hour of eating needs to be investigated by Upper GI endoscopy and get EUS that is endoscopic ultrasound which has high resolution. Along with the routine ultrasound of the abdomen.
Further studies can be done if there is clinical and lab tests supporting the possible cause as you have mentioned. GGT and Alkaline phosphatase are very sensitive and raise up. If these are normal, there is less chance of obstruction to the bile flow.
In addition MRCP and CT scan of the whole abdomen helps in some cases to confirm or rule out some of the problems.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon