What causes lower right abdominal pain while suffering from appendicitis?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Have I got appendicitis. For more than a week I have had bad pain on low right hand side. It started more than three weeks ago and has got worse and constant. Saw my GP last Monday who diagnosed urinery infection and diverticulitis . There was total confusion at the surgery with a mix up over my specimen which I had to redo and am still awaiting result. In the meantime I have had o course of Co-Amoxiclav which I finished yesterday and seems to have had no effect on my problem. Be pleased to hear from you.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Many causes

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.

Related your concern you should know that most possible diagnosis ( less common but serious) in this situation maybe related with,appendicitis, bowel obstruction (include diverticulitis) urinary infection, kidney stones, and lesser common with reproductive system in your age, and an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Usually appendicitis may be associated with nausea, vomiting, fever and loss of appetite that you don't mentioned above but this needs a detailed physical examination, full blood count ( see for leukocytosis), abdominal echo and maybe CT scan abdominal to definitely excluded because sometimes this could be without these symptoms.

A bowel obstruction can also cause pain in this area and occurs when your intestines become blocked and this needs a CT scan abdominal to get diagnosed.

Less commonly, an infection in the kidney may cause right lower abdominal pain and other symptoms of a kidney infection include a fever, back pain and pain when you urinate that you don't mentioned above. In all cases, a urine test and blood tests can help clarify the diagnosis and I think that taking amoxiclav should had improvement of the pain related urinary infection.

An abdominal aortic aneurysm is an abnormal dilatation of the aorta, and needs a special ct scan of abdomen to be diagnosed.

Furthermore What I suggest in this situation is to do ,except the physical examination by a surgery doctor, a full blood count, abdominal echo, and CT scan abdominal to do a better differential diagnosis to find as soon as possible the cause of this situation.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj