• question-icon

    What causes lower right abdominal pain after injury?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 3/4 days ago, A ball hits on my stomach...now I am in a doubt whether it is a pain of that or appendix? can you tell me the exact location of appendix? I am tensed
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The appendix is usually in the right lower abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

The appendix is a small rat tail like structure in the right iliac fossa. This is the right lower abdomen and in the area between the umbilicus and hip bone on the right side. This is the usual position. Rarely the appendix is behind the caecum and is called the retrocaecal appendix.

If in doubt then please get an ultrasound scan abdomen and pelvis done.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
I have little bit pain in lower abdomen. Last week a tennis ball hit me on that area....Now I am in doubt whether its a pain of appendix or for that ball. And which will be the effective test to diagnose appendix with 100% surity?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
First we do ultrasound scan and then CT scan if needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

To me it looks like the pain is due to injury from the ball.

Appendix pain is typical in many patients and the suspicion is usually after clinical examination.

Ultrasound scan is the most basic investigation for making a diagnosis of appendicitis. I see about 2 to 4 cases every week and the patients come with typical history of pain in right lower abdomen.

It is true that ultrasound scan is a skilled technique and in general an appendicitis can be diagnosed with limited accuracy of 50 percent. This does not mean ultrasound is inaccurate but that sometimes it can get difficult to pick an appendicitis on ultrasound due to the position of appendix.

Usually we look for the swelling of appendix and any fat or fluid surrounding it showing features of inflammation.

In cases where ultrasound scan is indecisive then we recommend a CT abdomen and pelvis scan with oral and IV contrast and this helps to clear doubts in many occasions.

No test is 100 percent accurate and clinical examination and correlation is compulsory to make a diagnosis of acute appendicitis.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Vivek Chail


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6710 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

186 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Vivek Chail
  • Q - Done with CAT scan and ultrasound. Taking Testosterone. Ultrasound...

  • Q - Scheduled for fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy. Should I go ahead...

  • Q - Fell down and hurt chest. What are the findings in the x-ray report?

  • Q - Is there any treatment to increase the size of penis?

  • Q - Had a history of colon cancer and had bowel resection. Left butt is...

  • Q - Swollen lymph nodes under arms and groin hurts and have sores. Could...

  • Q - Suffered arachnoid hemorrhage after head injury. Suffer constant...

  • Q - What is the cause for itchy underarms?

  • Q - On warfarin for PE. Having bleeding from rectum. Should I go to the ER?

  • Q - Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in...