• question-icon

What causes lower right abdominal pain after injury?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 3/4 days ago, A ball hits on my stomach...now I am in a doubt whether it is a pain of that or appendix? can you tell me the exact location of appendix? I am tensed
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The appendix is usually in the right lower abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

The appendix is a small rat tail like structure in the right iliac fossa. This is the right lower abdomen and in the area between the umbilicus and hip bone on the right side. This is the usual position. Rarely the appendix is behind the caecum and is called the retrocaecal appendix.

If in doubt then please get an ultrasound scan abdomen and pelvis done.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
I have little bit pain in lower abdomen. Last week a tennis ball hit me on that area....Now I am in doubt whether its a pain of appendix or for that ball. And which will be the effective test to diagnose appendix with 100% surity?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
First we do ultrasound scan and then CT scan if needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

To me it looks like the pain is due to injury from the ball.

Appendix pain is typical in many patients and the suspicion is usually after clinical examination.

Ultrasound scan is the most basic investigation for making a diagnosis of appendicitis. I see about 2 to 4 cases every week and the patients come with typical history of pain in right lower abdomen.

It is true that ultrasound scan is a skilled technique and in general an appendicitis can be diagnosed with limited accuracy of 50 percent. This does not mean ultrasound is inaccurate but that sometimes it can get difficult to pick an appendicitis on ultrasound due to the position of appendix.

Usually we look for the swelling of appendix and any fat or fluid surrounding it showing features of inflammation.

In cases where ultrasound scan is indecisive then we recommend a CT abdomen and pelvis scan with oral and IV contrast and this helps to clear doubts in many occasions.

No test is 100 percent accurate and clinical examination and correlation is compulsory to make a diagnosis of acute appendicitis.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist