What causes lower limit of protein levels in blood?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I just got some lab work back. It showed a slightly low protein level ( 6.0 L) and slightly low globulin level (1.8L) in my blood. It also showed my BUN/Creat ratio as 33.3 even though the individual values of each were in the normal range. What does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries, Labs normal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Your total protein is in lower limit of normal . So is the globulins. Slight decline is normal with age related geriatric limitation and nothing to be worried about. Your BUN creat ratio is also normal and is of no significance with normal creatinine as with advancing age blood urea nitrogen levels rise due to negative nitrogen balance .

Nut shell this does not mean anything significant except age related physiological decline of functions. Malnutrition , prolonged bed rest, some NSAIDS and corticosteroids etc may also reduce the tests. Some underlying chronic illness may also cause these figures to reduce but with no apparent complaint or illness these values don't mean much and should not be worried about.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan