What causes lower leg pain, cold feet and no reflexes in right leg?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was badly injured in 2006. I underwent surgery to fuse my spine. The fusion never healed (hardened), even though I have a bone stimulator in my back.I underwent a second surgery a year later. It also has never hardened in the center. However, I now have 2 other discs injured from the first one not being stable. I am in constant pain, night and day. NY workers compensation, denied the surgeon requested to do a third surgery. I have pain down my legs, my feet are always very cold,and I have no reflexes in my right leg. They have taken most of my pain medication away from me at the request of workers compensation. They now want me to start taking a Neuropathy drug,(Which was already tried before, with no results.= I could at least function, while I was taking the pain medications, now, I can't do anything, and it's getting worse. What can I do? I prefer the problem be fixed, but until it is, I need the pain under control. Any suggestions are welcome and much needed. As for using anti-inflammatory drugs, I have ulcers that prevent me from taking them.
Will I be charged twice, as you are the second Dr. I have ask about this?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other conditions need to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Pain down your legs, loss of tendon reflexes and cold feet may be related to lumbar spine stenosis, but impaired blood flow to the legs, peripheral neuropathy are conditions that is necessary to be evaluated further and excluded.

Unsuccessful fusion after spine trauma is an indication for extended fusion levels.

Pedicle screws and rods may be used for this purpose and posterior laminectomy may be necessary to decompress neural structures.

Since bone growth device was not working, it should be removed.

Once these conditions are excluded, next steps in your treatment should be discussed.

It is necessary to upload imaging studies (such MRI, x-rays, CT scan) in order to have a better understanding of your condition.

Pain drugs besides NSAID, include opioids such hydrocodone, oxycodone, tramadol, combinations of paracetamol-tramadol that don't influence the ulcers.

Discuss with your primary care Doctor about getting evaluated further for legs vascular problems, peripheral neuropathy, before taking any other steps.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Unfortunately you will be charged again.

Awaiting for imaging studies to be uploaded.....

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj