What causes lower left pelvic pain and vaginal discharge?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 12 Nov 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have been having lower left pelvic pain for three months. First it was blamed on I V antibiotics I was on for six weeks. After being off them for a month it continued. I had an exam by an OB an ultrasound and a biopsy I also had a ct scan they all came out good. My doctor recently related it to my scoliosis. But now I started with a vaginal discharge. Any ideas or tests you would recommend? I am also being treated for anxiety. I was also diagnosed with IBS which I don't feel I have.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
atrophic vaginitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM. The most common cause of vaginal discharge after menopause is atrophic vaginitis which is due to the decrease in the estrogen levels after menopause. It is usually associated with pain during intercourse and feeling of soreness and irritation in the pelvic area.
First thing to exclude as your obstetrician did an US and an endometrial biopsy to exclude uterine cancer. With that excluded, we are left with this atrophic vaginitis or vaginal infections. Please know atrophic vaginitis is a predisposition to vaginal and urinary infections.
For accurately diagnosing your condition, your obstetrician should do a smear test which would show a particular kind of cells that are prevalent with vaginal atrophy. Also if there is any vaginal infection it should show up on the smear when placed on microscope. Also the vaginal Ph test should be done. You should also be done a baseline urinalysis since UTI's are pretty common with atrophic vaginitis. you may want to do ESR, chlamydia antibody test to see if there is chronic pelvic inflammatory disease which however is unlikely for this age. If you haven't done colonoscopy after age 50, i recommend you do one for screening for rectal cancer.
If your diagnosis comes out to be atrophic vaginitis, you should use moisturisers ( very private) or water based lubricants ( K_Y or astragolide)
Also you should use topical estrogen with cotton applicator every night before bed time. That should help with atrophic vaginitis.
Wearing cotton underwear and not wearing tight-fitting clothing can improve symptoms. Loose cotton clothing improves air circulation around the genitals, making them less ideal environments for bacteria to grow.

A woman with atrophic vaginitis can experience pain during sexual intercourse. However, staying active sexually enhances blood circulation in the vagina and stimulates natural moisture. Sexual activity has no effect on estrogen levels. But by improving blood circulation, it keeps your sexual organs healthier for longer.

Allowing time to become sexually aroused can make sexual intercourse more comfortable. Vitamin E oil can also be used as a lubricant.
I hope it helps.
Dr. Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Can I still have this infection if I was on antibiotics a little over a month ago for 6 weeks? What is a US biopsy? Would this happen with just lower left pain?

Do you agree this could be related to my scoliosis being my curvature is pretty bad
My doctor said my rib was pushing on my pelvic area
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes scoliosis may result in pelvic pain.

Detailed Answer:
Vaginal atrophy is not an infection, it is due to unstable vaginal epithelial layer as a result of decreased estrogen. So yes you can have vaginal atrophy as a cause of discharge even if you have been on antibiotics recently. In fact I will like to add here yeast infections are pretty common after the recent use of antibiotics. US stands for ultrasound and biopsy is done for excluding endometrial cancer which your obstetric gynecologist did for you.
Yes I agree with your doctor that your left lower pelvic pain could be due to the abnormal curvature of spine affecting the pelvic floor integrity. Please go see a spine surgeon regarding this problem. However your vaginal discharge seems to be a separate problem. Thank you

Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 30 minutes later
Can vaginal atrophy just cause localized pain. I just have pain in lower left near groin area. What are other reasons for vaginal discharge? Can you have a yeast infection without itching or burning? And does it cause pain? Do you think this could be IBS
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Please know you can not just make a diagnosis based on localised pain. Only a doctor who properly examines you can. For your left pelvic pain, the most likely diagnosis is probably scoliosis putting pressure on pelvic floor or it could be some other reason as well and for your vaginal discharge it is probably vaginal atrophy or an infection for your age group. You can not tell which one it is just based on symtoms. You have to have a vaginal smearand pelvic physical exam to see what is what???Please visit your doctor for further guidance and discuss these possibilities with him/her. Hope it clears up your doubts.