What causes lower left back pain while having splenomegaly?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I believe I have an enlarged spleen. My vision is getting blurry. I have lower left back pain. My left shoulder and arm tingle. There was blood on the toilet paper after wiping from a bowel movement. Any idea what this sounds like, and how concerned should I be?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need CT scan of abdomen for further information.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir

I have through your query in detail and can certainly understand your concern.

Enlarged spleen requires careful evaluation.

Considering other symptoms of back ache , arm tingling and passage of blood in the stool.

It's very important to rule out malignancy of the liver and gastrointestinal system.

For this, I advise you to get a CT scan abdomen at the earliest.

A colonoscopy can be planned at a later stage based on scan results.

Once malignancy is ruled out, further management can be planned accordingly.

Post your further queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar