• question-icon

What causes lower left back pain when diagnosed with acid reflux?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm 31 years old. I do have acid mild reflux. Yes, I been drinking since I was 19 and smoking. I been having left side pain by my hip it's a dull achy crampy pain. I been having lower left back pain again dull achy and crampy. I have pain in my testicular only in my left one that's dull achy crampy pain. I do not have any blood in my urine and I went to the doctor and they did a urine sample and they said it came back good. What do you think this is? What are the chances of it being serious or anything to do with the kidney such as kidney disease cancer or acute kidney problem. Should I be worried. I do have a slip disc in my lower back.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry about kidney problem or cancer.

Detailed Answer:
I have read your query and understand the concern,

Your lower left back pain is likely due to your disc problem,however since the pain is dull and crampy I will want to rule out kidney stone (but less chances since urine test is normal) by doing ultrasound abdomen for a safer side.

Left side testicular pain could be related to orchitis or epididymitis (inflammation of testis and epididymis),so it should be ruled out by physical examination and routine blood counts.Your doctor will know about it.

But I will not think about the possibilities of some kidney disease or cancer here,so will suggest you not to worry about it.

Meanwhile,you can take over the pain killers and antacids with prokinetic drugs (like pantoprazole and levosulpride combination) for symptomatic relief.It will also take care of your acid reflux.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra