What causes lower back stiffness?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Sep 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: lower back stiffness for a week now. I'm active, did not do a specific thing to cause this that I know of. Not getting any better despite swimming, good sleep, massage. Is there a virus that does this? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a virus.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Lower back stiffness is not associated with a viral cause, at least not as the only symptom.
Much more common causes are degenerative changes of the spine with inflammation or a muscle strain. They are managed similarly at this stage. Unless there are other symptoms (like pain or weakness radiating in the limbs, bladder control issues, fever, a traumatic event originating the symptoms) I wouldn't worry, symptoms may persist for a few weeks but should gradually improve.
Over the counter anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen may help. So can muscle relaxants like Flexeril. Warm compresses may also be beneficial.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.