• question-icon

What causes lower back pain?

Posted on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I have had this nagging ache when I twist or sometimes when I walk at my lower right back above my buttochs. This started approximately 3 weeks ago after helping clear some brush off some property for a friend. The ache/pain seems to stay at the same intensity and not looking like it is subsiding. as a follow-up my urine and bowel functions appear to be normal, no loss of appetite or thirst.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably related to a strained muscle/soft tissues

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the back pain that you have reported. Considering the circumstances under which you sustained this pain, I am pretty convinced that one of the soft tissues was strained. Healing would take a while and it is never immediate. I will recommend that you exercise some more patience. With the stool and urine functions being perfect, it gives us more reassurance that these are not possible causes of the pains you have described.

In all, this is probably related to strained soft tissue following the surrounding circumstances of the injury. Pain medications, gentle exercises and some patience would see us through. Unless these measures do not help that I will recommend for imaging studies to investigate the integrity of the bones and linking structures(ligaments/tendons/inter-vertebral disc)

For the main time, pain medications like Ibuprofen and Tylenol as recommended by your pharmacist would help control the pain while the injured structures heal. Gentle exercises involving the lower back and waist would also help accelerate the healing process.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 minutes later
Thank you for your reply Dr. Ditah!

How long should I continue the light exercises and the over the counter pain medications before I see my physician if the pain still persists?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest 2more weeks!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up question.

I would like to see you try these measures for a minimum of 2weeks and should there be no improvement, seek further medical evaluation. Should the pain worsen or something else comes up before this interval elapses, consult a doctor right away.

I hope this helps. Let me hear from you about your progress.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah