What causes lower back pain relieved only a little with a Cortisone shot and How can complete relieve be achieved?
After a bout of of stomach pain and sickness (during which he lost over 30 pounds) he had his gallbladder out in May/June 2017 .
Cortisone shot can take up to 2-3 weeks to show results.
The pain he is experiencing is due to spinal arthritis and slipped disk. The pain can be very concerning.
However, I would like to mention that cortisone shots can take 2 to 3 weeks to resolve inflammation and pain.
Meanwhile, he can take Advil 3 times daily to reduce pain further. Physical therapy and low impact exercises like water aerobics and swimming can also help.
If the pain is still persistent, then more potent pain medication like opioid analgesics might be needed. But it always better to tackle the pain without using opioids.
Hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any further concerns/clarifications.
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cortisone shots cause weight gain
- Cortisone shots for bursitis pain
- Cortisone shot for foot pain
- Does cortisone shot cause insomnia
- Increased pain after cortisone shot
- Cortisone shots for knee pain
- Cortisone shots cause cancer
- Lower back pain due to fracture will cortisone shot work
- Do cortisone shots relieve pain
- Can cortisone shots cause hiccups