• question-icon

What causes lower back pain, heavy feeling in the testicles and brownish semen?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: For about 8 months now, I have periods of a few weeks long where I have pain in my lower back when sleeping, heavy feeling in my testicles, and brown colored semen. The brownish color starts off with small amount of brown volume but then tends to get more and more as the weeks go on. It eventually goes away, along with the other symptoms but then comes back a few months later. I have visited my doctor and had performed blood test as well as urine test, with nothing out of the ordinary show up. The doctor downplayed the symptoms and said in the majority of the cases she has seen, it turns out to be nothing. I had scheduled a testicular ultrasound however when the symptoms went away, I cancelled it thinking I would not need it anymore. However, it came back recently with the same symptoms. Should I be concerned that this is serious? I have read about prostatitis and it sounds quite similar. Could this be a possibility? I am unsure if I should wait it out longer to see if symptoms will go away for good or continue to come back every few months. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
do next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

Your symptoms are indicating some chronic inflammatory issue in your testicles and most common this is seen in prostatitis, epididimitis or stones in prostate and urethra. Also, urinary infections and STD may be considered as well.
If STD is ruled out with tests,and there are no bacterias in urine then this is is probably prostatitis which may be mild, intermittent or chronic.

Usually it doesnt cause any serious consequances unless in very severe inflammation which would be very painful. Rarely it may affect fertility so it would be good to do sperm analysis.

In your case, if lab an urine tests are clear and ultrasound is fine the next option would be to do testicle scintigraphy or MRI scan.
I dont think you should hurry with this.
YOu can wait and see if symptoms will occur. YOu can also try with antibiotics for 2 weeks such as Ciprofloxacin which may help in case of prostatitis.

Some more serious diagnoses such as tumors are rarely seen and would be detected with ultrasound.

At the end, it may still be nothing and just temporary sensation due to small stone or infection of urinary tract.
It is advisable to drink raspberry tea and have enough fluids.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon