What causes lower back pain and numbness in the thigh?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My lower back hurts and my thigh on one side is numb and i get a buring sensation in my leg and back. Do i have a pinched nerve? And if so what can i do to stop the pain.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging by your description the symptoms can very well correspond to a pinched nerve, most commonly at your age due to a herniated (bulging) disk between your vertebrae.

The initial step is anti-inflammatory over the counter pain killers like Naproxen or Ibuprofen and for a couple of weeks a muscle relaxant like Flexeril. Physical therapy sessions should also be commenced to avoid recurrences in the future.

In 80% of cases symptoms improve gradually inside a month. If symptoms persist over 4-6 weeks than imaging may be done and therapeutic alternatives may include local injections with steroids and analgesics, or rarele surgery. Hopefully you will be among the 80% of spontaneously improving patients.

I hope to have been of help.