What causes lower back pain and frequent urination?
Hello and welcome,
This is most likely a urinary tract infection but it may also be other problems with the urinary tract including a small stone that is causing some irritation.
That it is causing back pain means that it is likely causing back pressure on the kidney or may be leading to a kidney infection. Even if it is a urinary tract infection, it needs to be evaluated and treated promptly now because of the possible kidney involvement.
I strongly recommend that you go in to an urgent care clinic, and if none are open, then the ER. There they will examine you and check a urine specimen. First with a dip urine stick which can give immediate information, and then with a urinalysis. If there are signs of infection, they should send the urine specimen for a full culture and sensitivity test. The latter tests different antibiotics to make sure that if they give you a prescription for an antibiotic, that it is one that works. Usually trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole will take care of a urinary tract infection.
If there is blood in the urine but no significant sign of infection, they should do imaging studies (X-ray, ultrasound) to check for a stone or other abnormality.
A kidney infection usually also has nausea, fever, and feeling overall poorly in addition to flank/back pain, but I don't think you should wait for all of that to happen.
So - while it may not be a UTI, it should be checked out now.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Lower right back pain and frequent urination
- Lower left back pain and frequent urination
- Fatigue frequent urination lower back pain bloating
- Microalbumin high lower back pain frequent urination
- Stomach painbloating lower back pain frequent urination
- Cause of frequent urination tiredness lower back pain painful breasts
- Frequent urination lower back pain headache
- Frequent urination dribbling urine lower back pain
- Lower back pain nausea and frequent urination
- Frequent urinating lower back pain nuvaring
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis