What causes lower back pain and frequent urination?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Lower back pain on left side, pressure urinating and frequent urination
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

This is most likely a urinary tract infection but it may also be other problems with the urinary tract including a small stone that is causing some irritation.

That it is causing back pain means that it is likely causing back pressure on the kidney or may be leading to a kidney infection. Even if it is a urinary tract infection, it needs to be evaluated and treated promptly now because of the possible kidney involvement.

I strongly recommend that you go in to an urgent care clinic, and if none are open, then the ER. There they will examine you and check a urine specimen. First with a dip urine stick which can give immediate information, and then with a urinalysis. If there are signs of infection, they should send the urine specimen for a full culture and sensitivity test. The latter tests different antibiotics to make sure that if they give you a prescription for an antibiotic, that it is one that works. Usually trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole will take care of a urinary tract infection.

If there is blood in the urine but no significant sign of infection, they should do imaging studies (X-ray, ultrasound) to check for a stone or other abnormality.

A kidney infection usually also has nausea, fever, and feeling overall poorly in addition to flank/back pain, but I don't think you should wait for all of that to happen.

So - while it may not be a UTI, it should be checked out now.