What causes lower back pain along with numbness in the leg?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 18 Nov 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I fell down the stairs 5 weeks ago on my side or pelvis and did not have anything for 4 days then woke up with lower back pain and pain down the side of the leg and weakness in foot passed the straight leg test so not a disc what did I do pinch the nerve in the pelvis no numbness in leg but dull pain on outside of calf.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be soft tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:
The dull pain that you have can be due to a soft tissue injury in the area. Any nerve injury is not likely as there is no numbness or weakness. This should subside with rest and mild pain killers in 2 weeks. Do avoid painful activities and do a hot compress on the area for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
why was my foot slapping for a week and then chiro adjusted me and came back, but was not till 4 days after fall inflammation set in and squeezed everything? if this was a disc issue I would be in great pain even after 5 weeks correct? I don't have a lot of pain now after 5 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Disc issue can be ruled out after MRI scan.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in the disc related problem can be mild also. The disc protrusion or compression can happen due to dehydration or muscle spasm also. Only an MRI scan can exactly rule out the disc problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 days later
Iam getting better everyday so I think you are right probably muscle and soft tissue and that squeezed the nerve to make my foot week and if was the disc I would have not passed the straight leg test. Walk is almost all the way back TO NORMAL and pain is all gone. So don't think I did anything to the disc as I hit my pelvis.

Brentt XXXXXXX Sr.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is good that you are recovering.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

The recovery suggests that the discs are normal. No need to worry for now.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
What do you think it was exactly?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue injury most likely

Detailed Answer:
Most likely a soft tissue injury with some swelling locally that subsided gradually and restored the normal function.

Regards.