What causes lower back and neck pain with pain in wrist,hips and elbows?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old male, troubled with lower back and neck pain for past 2 years, which is ascending with time and now i am developing pain in wrist, ankle, hips and elbow joint. Please suggest should i see a physiotherapist
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to poly arthralgia.

Detailed Answer:
Repeated back neck and joint pains can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being poly arthralgia. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician. Consulting a physiotherapist will not be of help.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal